Thursday, October 14, 2010

Relax and trust that your higher spirit(s) will guide you

For the last couple of days since I made my commitment to be writing 1500 words a day, I have been on a roll, extremely focused. I'd go to bed very late trying to get those last words in and not actually wanting to go to bed! And then when morning comes, I'd jump out of bed like a little kid on Christmas, ready to start my day. This personal mania continues for a several days in a row, but on this particular morning my brain feels heavy. I feel physically exhausted and a little grumpy, and I have to give a workshop on goal-setting this afternoon that I wish I had better prepared for.

I have been praying for clarity, guidance, and for the right words to come to me. When the words come easily and the editing process is much simpler, writing is so much fun, actually quite enjoyable. Other times I struggle to find precisely the right descriptor, or verb or adjective. Writing is a humbling experience. Especially in the beginning. You put yourself out there for criticism, do your best work and try to make tight deadlines...there are high self-expectations, a some self-doubt, and a bit of stress. You ask yourself, "Am I going to make it?" and decide to go for it anyway. You feel vulnerable, awkward and clumsy; the feeling reminds me of how I used to feel as a teenager, running with an armful of books trying to catch the school bus as it begins to pull away from the curb...you ask yourself, "Am I going to make it?" and decide to go for it anyway. Sooner or later you will arrive at your destination, but it may take longer than you expected, and it's likely you might trip at some point along the way.

There are good days and then not so good days. FLOW is what we strive for…and when it comes, it feels sooo darn good. The rewards are sweet – pages of lovely work that can be inserted seamlessly, perfectly fitting in the right spot of your essay. I have come to know that the best way for me to start a writing session is to meditate first, breathe in deeply and exhale…breathe in deeply a second time and exhale slowly, creating a warmth and relaxing each part of my body... paying special attention to the neck and shoulders, then moving down through arms and fingers, chest, belly, hips, legs, calves and toes… breathe in deeply a third time and exhale, breathing out any residual thoughts and clearing my mind. Now I am relaxed completely, an empty vessel, ready to receive whatever higher thoughts and messages that come from my ‘aumakua.

No comments:

Post a Comment