Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saturday Nov. 6th - 2nd day of Virtual Support Residency Weekend

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Elaine, our professor and writing coach has offered to help with writing procrastination and tight organization of our work. I am happy to report that I’m on a writing roll. Unfortunately, I hadn’t yet written anything on this learning achievement, and therefore did not have anything to submit for review. Maybe I can solicit a session with Elaine in the next few weeks?

Stayed up too late last night thinking, reading, and writing which caused me to miss the Early Morning Coffee drop in session with Deb at 9:30 am YS (6:30 am PST). How could this happen – I am usually up early every morning no matter how late I stay up! Kristin, my colleague at work gifted me my Native American name, “The woman who never sleeps”. Whatever!

If you’ve ever been on a brisk early morning walk with Deb in Keene in the fall, or if she’s taken you on a guided tour through the Glen in Yellow Springs, you know just how special it is to spend early morning time with Deb. She gets your body and brain ready for an incredible learning day. Early Morning Coffee Session with Deb is the same idea, but in a virtual setting. It’s awesome, and I missed it. Oh well, perhaps tomorrow?

Anyway, I took Carolyn’s advice from yesterday: worked out at the athletic club with Dave this evening, and had a small but heavenly piece of chocolate. (OK, truth be told, it was left-over Halloween candy, but that peanut butter cup really hit the spot!). Here is what I accomplished today:


1. Attended an appointment with Elizabeth, and confirmed the set up of my CAM grid, which will include a Topical Lit Review. Under each of the topics – Authentic Leadership and Pedagogy of Aloha – I will list the articles by method.
2. Spoke with my colleague Rick Warm regarding the grid: do you use excel or Word table? He sent me some great resources for with I am thankful.
3. I am getting a well-rounded view by reading about how different scholars conducted research for their Lit Review; I’m trying to see if I missed anything and also trying to figure out the best way to write mine. I read two more CAM exemplars from Cohort 6 colleagues who have already advanced to candidacy:
a. Martha Miser’s Women’s Approach to Democracy. Martha is an amazing scholar and writer; her paper was a well constructed with a multi-colored Boolean search, beautiful grid and very thorough references…82 pages long!
b. Wayne Curtis sent me his Critical Analysis of Methods Literature of Social Entrepreneurship. His work is clean and straight forward, 46 pages long – half the size of Martha’s – with a nice description of his search techniques, which included very good articles found on Google Scholar…Hmm..
4. So I discovered a very cool research tool called Google Scholar…even found some Native Hawaiian journal articles, but I am clumsy at using this tool to search, save and send, so I…
5. Scheduled an appointment with Deb for tomorrow to ask her some research questions. Oh, and did you know that Deb's Lib Guides have great CAM resources? From there I..
6. Downloaded the article she had posted: Scholars before researchers: On the centrality of the Dissertation literature review in research preparation. This article gives background for why a thorough lit review is foundational for substantial, useful research. I highly recommend it.
7. The last thing I did tonight was write an outline of my CAM.


I think I will be able to meet my writing goals of 5 – 7 pages by the end of the residency tomorrow. I already have the outline and am starting to fill it in – three pages written so far. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment