Thursday, October 20, 2011

What's in a name...

I started an online class through Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estates A’o Makua Program for distance learners called Mo‘okū‘auhau: He Inoa ‘Ala. I am continually taking Hawaiiana classes to improve my vocabulary and understanding of Hawaiian people, culture and traditions. The more I learn, the more fascinated I become with my heritage, our kūpuna (ancestors), and the people of old.

“He Inoa ‘Ala” – A fragrant name – said of a chief whose reputation is good. (Puku'i, 637).

The students are required to post on the discussion board, introduce ourselves to the class, and write a little about our name as well. Here is my post…

Aloha e Kumu Brandy e nā haumāna.
‘O Cami ko‘u inoa. I love this class He Inoa ‘Ala, and have taken it several times. Even though we have access to the materials a year afterward, I continually enroll because it creates a learning community for me, allocates a specific time frame to complete the assignments, and commits me to continue learning Hawaiiana for at least a half hour to an hour a day.
My full name is Camilla Grace Fusae Ka‘iuhono‘onālani Wengler Vignoe. In the Wengler ‘ohana we are 6 brothers and 5 sisters born to Harry and Charlotte Wengler, raised on the island of ‘Oahu in the south east areas of Kaimuki, Kahala and ‘Aina Haina.

Each siblings has a minimum of five names: a first name, Christian middle name, Japanese name, Hawaiian name, and our family name Wengler. I married David, so I share his last name as well. Vignoe is the shortened version of Vignali – the immigration people couldn’t pronounce his great grandfather’s name, and so it was changed to make it easier for them to pronounce and spell.. Imagine that! In any case, Vignali means “of the vines, of the grapes”. I suppose that is what his kupuna did in Italy – they grew grapes and were wine makers.

Without knowing the meaning, my mom really liked the name Camilla – she said she forgot where she first heard it, perhaps it was the name of a movie actress. Anyway, that became my first name – it means, “ceremonial attendant” or “swift running warrior princess”. If you know me, the latter meaning is quite fitting in that I have tons of energy, am a passionate advocate-type person and love exercise – especially running!

Anyway, I could write a lot more because I am researching my name, my ‘ohanas’ names, and am writing about my journey into discovering Aloha and what it means to be Hawaiian on my blog: camivignoe.blogspot.com. Mahalo Kumu Brandy for this opportunity.

In my research I learned that in Roman mythology, Camilla was the daughter of King Metabus and Casmilla. Driven from his throne, Metabus was chased into the wilderness by armed Volsci, his infant daughter Camilla in his hands. The river Amasenus blocked his path; fearing for the child's welfare, Metabus bound her to a spear. He promised the goddess Diana that Camilla would be her servant, a warrior virgin. He then threw her to safety on the other side, and swam across the river to retrieve her.

In the Aeneid, she helped her ally, King Turnus of the Rutuli, fight Aeneas and the Trojans in the war sparked by the courting of Princess Lavinia. Arruns, a Trojan ally, stalked Camilla on the battlefield, and, when she was opportunely distracted by her pursuit of Chloreus, killed her. The goddess Diana's attendant, Opis, at her mistress' behest, avenged Camilla's death by slaying Arruns. It is said that Camilla once ran so swiftly through the cornfields that a blade of grass burned to ashes. This gave her divine power which enabled her to walk across the seas without wetting her feet.
Cool! More tomorrow as I continue researching my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment