Monday, May 13, 2013

Exceptional meeting w/Dissertation Chair Ch 2

I turned in my work last night at 5 pm. I have this deal with my dissertation chair Dr. Carolyn Kenny that I must turn in my work before 5 pm on Sunday, and then we have a standing in-person meeting at 9 am the next morning in the lobby at school. So yesterday I turned in 40 pages - all of my chapter 2... This am we had a fabulous meeting. CK was so very supportive, and she liked what I wrote... I just have to change the order of the outline. The new outline will look like this: 1. Leaving Home 2. Overview of Hawaiian history and worldview - need to set the history 1st 3. Hawaiian Cultural Identity 3.a. The culture and practice of Aloha 3.b. The loss of Culture 3.c. Walking in two worlds 3.d. Synopsis of tipping points 3.e. Outmigration 3.f. Acculturation 4. Indigenous Identity 4.a. Issues of Race 4.b. Importance of locality 4.c. Contested Hawaiian Identities 4.e. Differentiating between race, culture, ethnicity and identity 5. Hawaiian Cultural Revival 5.a. Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop Legacy 5.b. Hawaiian language and cultural education 6. Gaps in the Literature After the overview of Hawaiian history and worldview we will gradually work into Hawaiian Cultural identity. The new outline makes a lot more sense and it naturally leads into the research questions in a logical progression. Hawaiians have such a rich culture and a very unique world view. The people on my committee need to know that I took the Hawaiian language and cultures classes for several years.

1 comment: