Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday May 2nd, 2010 - Going Native

I think I am going to change advisors. this is the note I sent to my current advisor:

Dear (Kumu),
I hope you are doing well!
I have been meaning to call you, but I haven't been able to catch you live on Skype or online on First Class during the times I've been on.
I formulated my ILA - A proposal, and am almost done with dissertation concept paper.

It is looking like my studies will include a lot of hard to find Native/Aboriginal background materials... and Carolyn Kenny has access to a lot of these hidden treasures.
She has met me twice while on sabbatical to offer these resources.

Secondly, Carolyn referred me to Dr. Peter Hanohano, my mentor. They have known each other for quite some time through I believe some native education council.
I think because of their working relationship and shared circle of resources and colleagues, I can only benefit.
Finally, in-person guidance has proven t be extremely helpful in my case, and Carolyn can offer this since we both live in Santa Barbara.
I am thinking it might make sense for me to change advisors.
Please let me know your thoughts and if might have your blessing.
Thank you sincerely. Warm Aloha, Cami


In our culture, you ask permission before you just go ahead and do something. It is interesting that people from Western culture often think you are being passive by asking, instead of just telling the other person what you are going to do. Out of respect, peoples from Island culture and Native cultures always ask permission from their Kumus (teachers) and elders... and if they are unavailable, then for guidance from Ke Akua (God, or Higher Spirit).

No comments:

Post a Comment