Tuesday, August 24, 2010

'O wai kou inoa? (What is your name?)

I am taking another Hawaiian cultures class from the A'o Makua series entitled Mo'olelo - He Inoa Ala - A fragrant name – said of a chief whose reputation is good. (Pūku'i, 637). In this class we discover who we are and where we come from through the origin of our names and family names.

I think it is so much fun learning about yourself by researching your name. The Hawaiians named their children carefully because they believed the child grows into his or her name. Also, they did not like to shorten or give nicknames. As I am told, it retracts from the pureness of the name. Also, one must be careful not to place too much emphasis on one syllable or segment of a person's name because there could be negative connotations and repercussions when that part of the name is over-emphasized.

Our assignment was to create a message to the group by adding a new thread. We are to share the story behind our name. What does your name mean? Who named you? Are you named after someone? We could also tell the story of our last name or a family name or even the story behind choosing a name for someone else. This is my story...

Aloha Kakou.
My name is Camilla Grace Fusae Ka'iuhono'onālani Wengler-Vignoe. I just go by Cami.

I think this is a wonderful papa (class) and ha'awina (lesson). Mahalo Kumu Brandy for the opportunity to research our inoa and to share our mo'olelo with nā haumana.

My first name Camilla is of Latin origin and means "ceremonial attendant" or "attendant at a sacrifice". Camilla is also a swift running Warrior Princess the famous Roman poet Virgil writes about.

My middle name Grace is also of Latin origin meaning "God's favor". Grace refers to Blessed Mother - the mother of Jesus whom we honor in the Roman Catholic tradition - which is one our family celebrates. I wish I was more graceful!

My Japanese name Fusae refers to a beautiful delicate ornament. My mother told me to imagine a whimsical Japanese ornament, hanging high on a far branch of a cherry blossom tree. No matter how hard the rain falls or the wind blows, the ornament that appears so delicate is actually quite sturdy. It sways in the wind, weathers the elements; after the mightiest of storms, the ornament remains dangling from the tree branch, beautiful and seemingly undamaged.

My maiden name Wengler, is supposedly a common German family name. It is related to the Winkler and Wrangler families. The Wengler clan I am told lived in the hills in Germany somewhere. Interesting. I would like to find out more. Growing up in Honolulu, we were the only Wengler family in the phone book, in the whole state! This is because our dad was the first Wengler that migrated to Hawai'i; he is originally from Missouri.

My married name - Vignoe - is Italian, as my husband is a third generation Italian American. The story they tell is that my husband Dave's grandpa arrived from Italy in the early 1900s, their families were from Florence and Naples. Their last name was actually Vignali, but they shortened it to Vignoe so that it would sound more American, so that they would not be treated like third class citizens.

This is the mo'olelo of my Hawaiian name Ka'iuhono'onālani:

inoa pō - n. Dream name, as in a name for an infant believed received in a dream; it was thought that if such a name were not given, the child would be sickly or die. (wehewehe.org)

These types of names carried the seal of the spirit world. All were chosen by a god, usually a family ‘aumakua. In an ‘ohana (family) that awaited a baby’s birth, someone would have a name indicated or pronounced in a dream. This was the inoa pō, literally “night name”, or “name in the darkness”…such a name was both a gift and a command from the ‘aumakua. This name must be given the child. Says Mary Kawena Puku’i, “The name given by the ‘aumakua shows a relationship between the god and that person,” (p. 95 Nana I ke Kumu – Puku’i, 1972)

On a balmy Mānoa (a valley in Honolulu) evening in June 1965, Tutu Kawena awoke from her nap, distinctly remembering a specific name she was to gift to her next mo’opuna (grandchild; great-niece or nephew; relatives two generations later, whether blood or adopted). At the very same time in another part of town, my mother was laboring to bring me into this world. In the wee hours of that Sunday morning, I was born to Charlotte and Harry Wengler and received my Hawaiian name: Ka’iuhono’onalani, which means “one who is held in high esteem with the chiefs”.

In this lifetime, my quest is to find out who the chiefs are. Who am I supposed to serve? I have a feeling that I am to serve Keiki 'o ka 'aina (the children of the land)... and attaining my PhD is definitely going to help me to be more effective in service to our people. I am so grateful for all the blessings that Heavenly Father has given me. I have been given so much. I can humbly say that I have been blessed with health, vitality, passion, some brains and a big heart, as well as much privilege...God gives us these things, along with the gift of life, a guardian angel to keep us out of trouble, and many resources - such as fortunate opportunities and the ability to think - to do good works. It is my privilege and honor to serve our communities and our people to the very best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment