Monday, May 10, 2010

Aloha 'Aina course starts today

My Aloha Aina course starts today! I am so excited...It is a self-paced online class through the A'o Makua program offered by Kamehameha schools.
The course is structured into 3 topic areas - Mahina (moon), Mahi'ai (farming) and Lawai'a (fishing). Also, within each topic area they have resources called Ka Mole (foundation), Ke Kumu (teaching modern day practices) and Ka Hua (suggested activities that you can teach to your family or keiki). Our Kumu's name is Lori Aiwohi - she lives on Maui with her husband and four children. For Earth day they shut their electricity off at 9 pm! How amazing - the whole family got into it.

We have to do an assignment that involves telling a little about yourself, where you are from, and what you'd like to get out of the course. Here is my posting:

Aloha! I can tell this class is going to be a lot of fun. My name is Cami (Wengler) Vignoe. I grew up in Honolulu in the Aina Haina area, lived in Lahaina for several years after graduation, and then moved to the mainland. I live in Santa Barbara, CA with my husband Dave. Although we have no children of our own, we have 30 nieces and nephews - the majority of whom live on Oahu and Big Island in Hilo.

I am a grad student, hoping to learn the ancient ways of our people. I find it fascinating how they naturally, instinctively knew how to take care of the 'aina. My grandfather was a fisherman and an organic farmer. He had a beautiful, bountiful garden patch in Moilili back in the day. My parents recycled ever since I could remember. We were blessed with mango, guavas, limes, papaya, lychee and banana - I think back to how cool it was to grow your own breakfast, and pick from your own back yard. Additionally, we had plumeria, stephanotis, gardenia, pakalana, and ti leaves to make fresh leis whenever there was a special occasion.

We are truly keiki 'o ka 'aina. What awesome childhood memories our parents and grandparents gave us...and what a lovely culture to have grown up in. I especially appreciate our visits home even more, and look forward to learning in this class. My heart is full of aloha 'aina. Thank you for this opportunity.


Well, It is very late and I have to get up early and work a full day (8 am - 6 pm) - then off to Tahitian practice at 7pm. I cannot wait until after dance class so I can jump online and learn more about our culture, the moon, farming, and fishing!
Aloha to all. Aloha 'Aina!

No comments:

Post a Comment