Monday, May 17, 2010

Mahina - how lovely!

Monday May 17, 2010
In our Aloha ‘Aina class, I learned so many things today, among which, Tutu Mary Kawena Puku’i wrote a chant about the moon to teach little children the phases of the moon. The phases of the moon are very important because the people had this lovely relationship with nature, and they were very intelligent when it came to taking care of the land so that it can sustain them. Here is my posting:
I found it fascinating to read about how the Hawaiians use the moon calendar! Who knew that the waxing moon (increasing light between new and full moon) dictated planting plants that produce the edible part above ground, and the waning moon (decreasing light - full moon to new moon) dictated planting plants that produce the edible parts below ground. Honestly, I had no idea.

I loved hearing that it was customary for children to learn the mahina 'oli before the age of six! I thought the proverb was most interesting: "Kamali'i 'ike 'ole i ka helu po, Muku nei, Mulu ka malama, Hilo nei, kau ke Hoaka." "Children who do not know the moon phases: Muku is here, Muku the moon; Hilo comes next then Hoaka." This is the first part of the chant for children to learn the phases of the moon; also said of one who does not know the answer to a question, or is ignorant. He is compared to a small child who has not learned the moon phases. Check out the video: http://www.bigislandweekly.com/articles/2009/09/23/read/news/news05.txt

I am filled with wonder about the Hawaiian culture. Although I am part-Hawaiian, I don't think I remember learning this chant ever in my youth. It is fun learning it now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment