Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Remebering the Santa Barbara Residency May 13 - 16, 2010

(email to C6, sent June 14, 2010)

Hello Dear Friends,
I went to the C7 Santa Barbara residency almost a month ago, and have been meaning to give you an update.
Can you believe its been already a year since we were there?

At the welcoming happy hour on the 3rd floor balcony I met the 2 new professors Drs. Laura Morgan Roberts and Stewart Burns.
Attended Stewart's lecture on constructing history, which was fascinating, and insightful.

Remember Tavia (the puppet lady)? She arrived with her husband and twin baby boys! Can you imagine? I commented, "How nice that you bring your husband and babies." But then I felt kind of naiive and foolish when I realized she really had no other choice...the babies have to eat, and how is she going to go to classes? What a trip... Golly, Can you imagine being on the journey pregnant and then delivering twins?

Speaking of which, April Bellafiore announced that she is four months pregnant with her first baby! The news made me think about Tayo and Zoe and how our class was so proud of them with the birth of Leo.

I attended the dissertation defense hearing of Kory Diehl (C7). It was fascinating. She did her research on Eutopiagraphy - a term she coined. You've heard of biography and autobiography; well Eutopiagraphy is the story of a preferred future self. Utilizing mixed methods, she interviewed 7 executives from the DC area and did analysis around themes of preferred future selves - what these people hoped for themselves in the future. Very interesting. All of C7 was there to cheer her on. They invited me to an after-dissertation celebration party in Summerland where several of the ladies were staying, and C7 has officially made me an honorary member of their tribe. Their cohort is very colorful; they seem to produce (ahem) more and faster than any other.

Well, I'm hoping you're smiling...here's wishing you all the best in your studies. I miss you all very much.
With aloha from the Islands of Santa Barbara, Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment