Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekly check-in with Uncle Peter for ILA-A

Aloha e Uncle Peter,
I hope this note finds you well. Thank you for your last email. I was particularly touched with when you said, "What our kupuna left for us, can certainly help all of us to treat each other with more kindness and respect. That is what Hawaii can do for the world." I couldn't agree more.

I just finished the last of my online Hawaiiana classes with A'o Makua. I enjoyed these classes very much...and in fact, when it comes to writing proposal for ILA-B, I may include another class.

I am running a little bit behind on my first paper, and need to extend probably about another 10 days... Here's why:

1. I found several more DVD resources that are just wonderful:
Keepers of the Flame "chronicles the historical importance of Hawaiian scholar and linguist Mary Kawena Pukui (1895-1986), hula master 'Iolani Luahine (1915-1978), and songwriter and educator Edith Kanaka'ole (1913-1979)". Co-Producer Myrna Kamae (wife of Eddie) is quoted in an article saying,

"It's interesting that these three women didn't have an easy time. There was a lot of opposition to what they were doing. They were still pretty underground. Not everyone wanted some of the stories to be told."

For example, Pukui — who spent a lifetime collecting entries, then another three years working on the Hawaiian Dictionary — upset people by exposing hidden meanings and hidden stories.

But for her, "it was important that all the knowledge be shared, so her grandchildren would know the authentic culture," Kamae said.

I got chills after reading the last part of her quote.

2. I discovered another DVD from Kamehameha schools - interviewing Aunty Pat! I have to order this and visit as soon as possible.

3. I found a website devoted to the teachngs of Tutu! I couldn't believe it...a scholar that was really into her work. I haven't had a chance to read it all but here http://www.drack.info/~olelo/cal-pukui.html and the other one http://hawaiianlanguage.com

4. OHA and Ka Wai 'Ola just began sending news alerts via email - what a great way to keep people informed!
Some contemporary issues that I have just become aware of absolutely must be touched on in my first essay.

There is so much to learn, and the more I search the more I find. It's amazing. You were right - the beginning of a wondrous journey.
Please take care... Hope you have a really nice week.
Aloha, Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment