Saturday, July 17, 2010

Today I discovered Baibala - The Bible written in Hawaiian

Today I went online for my Hawaiiana lessons, and discovered www.baibala.org – this is the Hawaiian Bible! What a treasure! They have images in pdf files dated from 1839, 1868, and 1994. I checked out page four from the 1868 edition and discovered that this book was from the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum Library. Ka Baibala Hemolele – translates as The Bible Holy or the Holy Bible. My Hawaiian language classes are helping me to figure out a lot of things, especially people’s names, places they are from, what the intention of a certain mele (song) is and how our Kumu (teacher) wants to dance the kaona or meaning(s) that the artists write about through their songs. I find all of this fascinating.
Na Buke o ke Kauoha Kahiko – literal translation – Book of the testament of old (Old Testament)
Na Buke o ke Kauoha Hou – literal translation – Book of the testament now (New Testament)
The copyright from pg 12 of the 1868 version reads as follows – Nu Yoka: Ua paila (pile of work) no ko Amerika poe ho’olaha (billboard) baibala (bible); I ho’okumula I ka makahiki (year) 1868.
This is a very, very cool discovery. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment